I admit it- I eat way too much junk. I try to go on the Daniel Fast twice a year; not only for the spiritual aspect of it, which is its purpose, but to detox my body as well. The following is reposted from the website of Kristen Feola, author of The Ultimate Guide to the Daniel Fast. Go check out her amazing website for all things Daniel Fast.
Origin of the Daniel Fast
The Daniel Fast is an opportunity for you to draw closer to God through fervent, focused prayer. It involves a 21-day commitment to a partial fast, which means you restrict commonly enjoyed foods as an act of worship and consecration to the Lord.
You may be wondering, “Where did the Daniel Fast originate?” The Daniel Fast was first observed by the prophet Daniel in the Bible. Scripture gives us some insight into what Daniel ate and didn’t eat; however, we don’t know his complete menu.
“At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips (Dan. 10:2-3).
Most commentaries believe “choice food” would have been bread and sweets. The Message translation sums up Daniel’s eating habits during that time: “I ate only plain and simple food.”
Foods to Enjoy
• All fruit – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
• All vegetables – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
• All whole grains – amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat.
• All nuts & seeds – almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds; unsweetened almond milk. Nut butters are also included.
• All legumes – canned or dried; black beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), great northern beans, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas.
• All quality oils – avocado, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sesame, and walnut.
• Beverages– distilled water, filtered water, and spring water.
• Other – unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or soy milk; herbs, spices, salt, pepper, unsweetened coconut flakes, seasonings, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, soy products, and tofu.
Foods to Avoid
• All meat & animal products – bacon, beef, buffalo, eggs, fish, lamb, poultry, and pork.
• All dairy products – butter, cheese, cream, milk, and yogurt.
• All sweeteners – agave nectar, artificial sweeteners, brown rice syrup, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar.
• All leavened bread & yeast – baked goods and Ezekiel bread (if it contains yeast and honey).
• All refined & processed food products – artificial flavorings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice.
• All deep-fried foods – corn chips, French fries, and potato chips.
• All solid fats – lard, margarine, and shortening.
• Beverages – alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks, herbal tea, and tea.